In its most recent annual sustainability report, EdgeConneX outlines its bold agenda, including award-winning innovations, historic sustainability-linked financings, and robust diversity and inclusion programs that set new standards for data center environmental and social responsibility
Herndon, VA, – September 6, 2023 — EdgeConneX®, the pioneer in global Hyperlocal to Hyperscale Data Center Solutions announces that all its data centers globally are powered by 100% renewable energy. As such, the company achieved 100% carbon neutrality for Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions with a significant 44% reduction in Scope 3 emissions. These noteworthy achievements are part of the company’s bold sustainability agenda, which paves the way forward for environmental leadership and social responsibility.
Successful sustainable practices are increasingly critical for business strategies as technology advances rapidly and power demands rise. EdgeConneX measures these as part of its long-standing commitment to operate a carbon-, water-, and waste-neutral global data center platform powered by 100% renewable energy by 2030. EdgeConneX strategic priorities aim to address the global growth for digitization, cyber security, and digital services while contributing to the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Below are additional key results from EdgeConneX continued long-term investment in global practices:
- Achievement of 1.27 Operational Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE).
- EdgeConneX structured multiple innovative sustainability financings around achieving Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), including Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE) of its data centers, use of renewable electricity, and achieving safety goals. This includes $4.2 Billion in Sustainability-linked financing in 2022 and other financing in previous years for investment in sustainable initiatives around the globe, including $150 million dedicated to Latin America
- Successful launch of a multi-year project at EdgeConneX Houston data center, which measured the viability of 24/7 carbon-free energy utilizing AI-enabled technology. With this approach, EdgeConneX ensured the data center is powered with 100% renewable electricity by hourly matching renewable supply and time matching renewable energy credits. The project proved that even if most of the power grid operates on fossil-fueled electricity generation, real-time hourly or even more precise increments can be applied to new and existing data centers. For every given hour, EdgeConneX and its customers can operate throughout the year without emitting any CO2 with zero reliance on fossil standby generation during dark or cloudy periods. This innovative program will be duplicated at other EdgeConneX facilities.
“Our rich culture is focused on diversity, integrity, respect, and accountability. Sustainability is achieved through collaboration, not in isolation. In our view, the data center industry must collectively and collaboratively address the need for sustainable solutions. These solutions are critical for the planet, its people, and the industry itself, which must make effective, efficient use of land, water, power, cooling, and remote operational technologies. EdgeConneX is committed to working with the sustainability programs crafted by our customers, partners, industry standards bodies, and competitors. We are closely aligned with our owners, EQT, on pursuing science-based sustainability goals, relying on global standards for guidance, and investing in innovations that will help us develop and deliver on even more aggressive commitments.” – Steven Sprokholt, Vice President, Program Management, EdgeConneX
“Company-wide, we care for our Customers, People, and Planet by implementing a holistic ESG sustainability policy, with every role in every office committed to making EdgeConneX a leader in delivering sustainable solutions. Our customers are at the core of our DNA, as we work to exceed their requirements for practical, sustainable energy, water, land, and operations options. Combined, these tenants will enable us to deliver global solutions empowering services like machine learning, AI, cloud, content, and commerce while continuing to ensure that we are helping to lead the way for our industry to be a pivotal contributor to sustainable solutions worldwide.” – Randy Brouckman, Co-founder and CEO, EdgeConneX
Looking ahead, EdgeConneX is advancing its water stewardship initiatives to replenish the freshwater the company consumes, improving water quality and ecosystem health in its communities. The company also focuses on enhancing biodiversity across its data center campuses, protecting nature where it operates.
- 24/7 Carbon-Free Energy Pilot Overview available for download: edgeconnex.com/company/sustainability
- EdgeConneX 2022 Sustainability Report, available for download HERE.
As a global provider, EdgeConneX owns and operates 50 data center facilities in more than forty markets in fourteen countries across four continents around the globe. For more information on EdgeConneX, visit www.edgeconnex.com.
# # #
Backed by EQT Infrastructure, part of the global investment organization EQT, EdgeConneX provides a full range of sustainable data center solutions worldwide. We work closely with our customers to offer choices in location, scale, and type of facility, from Hyperlocal to Hyperscale. EdgeConneX is a global leader in anytime, anywhere, and any scale data center services for a diverse portfolio of industries, including Content, Cloud, Networks, Gaming, Automotive, SaaS, IoT, HPC, Security, and more. With a mission predicated on taking care of our customers, our people, and our planet, EdgeConneX strives to Empower Your Edge. For more information, please visit edgeconnex.com.
For EdgeConneX media enquiries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org